How to Optimize Your AC’s Efficiency
A host of reasons could lead to higher utility bills in the summer due to heavier use of your air conditioner. However, many of these issues can be avoided with a few easy fixes. Regular maintenance, proper insulation, and prudent use of the thermostat are a couple of examples. With a few simple precautions, you can have your air conditioning unit ready to cool your house efficiently during the warm season.
Reduce Ambient Heat
Several sources of heat within your home can cause your air conditioner to kick in more frequently than necessary. You can remove or mitigate these ambient heat sources and save on energy costs.
- Closed blinds, especially during peak sunshine
- Closed windows and doors
- Evening use of heat-producing appliances like dryers
- Exhaust fans while cooking
- Fans to distribute cool air better
- Dehumidifiers for better comfort without more cooling
- Energy-efficient appliances
- Energy-efficient light bulbs that don’t emit excess heat
Get your Air Conditioner Ready for Summer
Regular inspections and tune-ups by certified professionals will ensure that your air conditioner is in efficient working order, especially before summer. Your system is constantly exposed to dirt, which can compromise its efficiency. Maintenance can prolong the life of your air conditioner, minimize costly repairs, and keep your utility bills in check. There are some easy maintenance tasks you can complete on your own.
- Clearing vegetation around the outdoor unit
- Cleaning and straightening the outdoor unit’s grill
- Regularly changing the air filters
- Professional cleaning of AC coils, drains, and hoses
Fix Potential Leaks and Wastage
Conditioned air can leak out of your living space at several spots, causing your AC unit to work harder. A few precautions can help you to avoid energy wastage.
- Insulating exposed ductwork
- Sealing cracks in the foundation and around windows
- Weatherproofing windows and doors
- Shading the outdoor unit
- Keeping air vents clear of furniture
Know Your Thermostat
Smart thermostats, combined with a few precautions you can take, can significantly improve optimum energy usage.
- Avoiding constant thermostat adjustment
- Upgrading to a smart thermostat with programmable settings
- Remotely programming the thermostat via an app
- Zoning to customize cooling
- Installing a thermostat away from a hot wall or window
- Keeping hot appliances away from the thermostat
With the above tips and tricks, you can keep your air conditioner running smoothly.
At Obermanns, we’ve been providing professional heating, cooling, and plumbing services in Jackson, MO, and the surrounding areas since 1982. Aside from air conditioning services, we also provide plumbing services and heating repair, installation, and maintenance. Call us at Obermanns today to schedule an appointment.